Trump shares image calling Hormuz ‘new US territory’; Iran says strait ‘closed’


​Trump, Iran clash over Hormuz as standoff over key waterway deepens

NEW DELHI: US President Donald Trump on Sunday again shared an image on Truth Social describing the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as “NEW US Territory”, even as Iran maintained that the waterway was closed and would remain so unless Washington changed its approach.Trump had first shared the same image on August 18. Speaking at a police academy on Long Island on August 14, he had said, “Pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States.”Iran’s supreme national security council secretary Mohsen Rezaei, meanwhile, said Tehran would not reopen the strait unless the US fulfilled its commitments and changed its behaviour.“The Strait of Hormuz is closed and will not reopen,” Iran International quoted Rezaei saying. “If the United States changes its behavior and fulfills its commitments, the equation will be different, but this time the United States must act. It cannot be resolved through words and talks.”Despite Iran’s declaration, traffic through the waterway has increased in recent days. Nearly 200 ships crossed the Hormuz last week, compared with about 150 the previous week and around 40 two weeks earlier, according to UK maritime trade operations data cited by the New York Post.Maritime intelligence firm Kpler said more than 80% of liquid cargoes passing through the strait over the past two weeks either used an Omani route backed by the US and authorised by the International Maritime Organization, or went “dark”.Rezaei also said Iran had reached an agreement with Oman on a “middle route” through the strait, although a joint statement had yet to be finalised.

  • Related Posts

    ‘Conveyed our security concerns to US’: Israel on Hamas disarmament plan

    Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump (File photo) Israel has conveyed “serious security concerns” to the White House over the proposed disarmament deal with Hamas, an Israeli…

    Continue reading
    In 1974, the National Park Service bought the Stewart family’s 890-acre California ranch; they negotiated the right to remain and continued ranching there until 2021

    Photo credit: Canva (Representative image) When the federal government stepped in to buy the Stewart family’s 890-acre ranch in 1974, most people assumed a century of family cattle operations had…

    Continue reading