China rare earths deal will ‘hopefully’ be done by Thanksgiving, says Scott Bessent



A rare earths deal between the US and China will “hopefully” be done by Thanksgiving, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in remarks that were broadcast on Sunday.

Bessent’s comments follow a framework agreement announced last month in which Washington agreed not to impose 100 per cent tariffs on Chinese imports and China would hold off on an export licensing regime for crucial rare earths minerals and magnets.

“I am confident that post our meeting in Korea between the two leaders, President Trump, President Xi (Jinping), that China will honour their agreements,” Bessent told Fox News’ Sunday Morning Futures programme.
Bessent also disputed a recent report in The Wall Street Journal that said Chinese officials planned to restrict access to rare earths for US companies with ties to the military.
  • Related Posts

    Hong Kong stars Nick Cheung and William Chan join wave of upmarket home sales

    Transactions in the segment more than doubled in the first quarter of the year, compared with the same period in 2025, according to consultancy CBRE. Cheung sold his flat at…

    Continue reading
    China’s Moonshot AI moves to unwind offshore structure in IPO pursuit: sources

    Moonshot AI, the Chinese AI unicorn behind the popular Kimi chatbot, has informed shareholders that it intends to dismantle its offshore structure to pave the way for an initial public…

    Continue reading

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *