Canadian musician boycott: Matthew Good cancels shows over digital services tax; slams govt for US appeasement


Canadian musician boycott: Matthew Good cancels shows over digital services tax; slams govt for US appeasement
Canadian Musician Matthew Good (Image: Instagram/officialmattgood)

Canadian musician Matthew Good has cancelled his upcoming US tour dates in protest against President Donald Trump’s pressure on Canada to drop its planned digital services tax.Good announced the decision on social media, criticising the Canadian government’s choice to cancel the taxes as a precondition to resume trade talks with the United States. Prime Minister Mark Carney confirmed last month that Canada would cancel the tax as part of the negotiations, news agency Canadian Press reported. The tax was to apply to all big tech companies that operate online marketplaces or advertising services and social media platforms, and those that earn revenue from the sale of user data.In his post on Facebook, Good accused Canada of “backing down” to “appease” the Trump administration and said he could no longer stay silent about what he sees as his country being “bullied” out of billions in needed revenue.“I can’t stand by and be quiet while our amazing country is bullied into walking away from billions in needed revenue, constantly left wondering if we actually have a partner or an enemy to the south,” he wrote in the post.He also revealed that he had previously avoided speaking out of fear of being stopped at the border or having his visa rejected.Good was scheduled to perform in Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo in the coming days.



  • Related Posts

    Failed 3 H1-B attempts: Indian professional in US says ‘visa anxiety is a permanent subscription’, plans return to be with family

    A 29-year-old Indian professional working in US has described the stress of repeated H-1B lottery failures as a “permanent subscription”, in a viral Reddit post cited by the American Bazaar.The…

    Continue reading
    Donald Trump Iran Strategy: ‘Hair on fire’: Donald Trump, Netanyahu call turns tense as both leaders clash over Iran strategy

    US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a tense phone call on Tuesday over efforts to secure a new agreement with Iran, with differences emerging over…

    Continue reading

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *