‘I made a huge mistake’: Nick Kyrgios admits he tested positive for cocaine | Tennis News


'I made a huge mistake': Nick Kyrgios admits he tested positive for cocaine
Nick Kyrgios of Australia (Photo by Morgan Hancock/Getty Images)

Nick Kyrgios has revealed that he tested positive for cocaine and has been provisionally suspended from tennis.The Australian, who reached the Wimbledon final in 2022 before losing to Novak Djokovic, shared details of the case on social media.

Kyrgios accepts responsibility

The 31-year-old said the positive test came from a lower-level tournament in Mallorca in June. “I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine,” he wrote on his Instagram wall, citing a lower level tournament in June. “I made a huge mistake and take full responsibility for it.”Cocaine is banned as a doping substance during competitions, although penalties can be lower if it is used outside competition.

Nick Kyrgios

Nick Kyrgios’s statement on Instagram

Kyrgios also spoke about the mental and emotional struggles he has faced as injuries have affected the later part of his career. He has fallen to 919th in the world rankings after two years of injury problems.“At times I’ve felt helpless and alone. None of that excuses what I did,” he said.

Case moves forward

Kyrgios returned to Wimbledon last month after receiving a wild card to play doubles alongside Alexander Bublik, but the pair lost in the first round.The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) said Kyrgios provided the sample on June 22, and the positive result was confirmed on July 17, after he had already competed at Wimbledon.The ITIA said a mandatory provisional suspension was imposed on August 4. Kyrgios has not appealed the suspension, and the agency will now handle the case.

  • Related Posts

    Homeless but not broken: Displaced by war, Yevheniia Kantemyr and Polina Buhrova keep Ukraine’s flag flying high | Badminton News

    Ukraine’s Yevheniia Kantemyr and Polina Buhrova (Instagram | Polina Buhrova) NEW DELHI: Yevheniia Kantemyr was 16 and nursing a knee injury when Russian bombs rained down on her native city…

    Continue reading
    ‘I don’t need Rodri’: José Mourinho after Real Madrid lose transfer battle to Barcelona | Football News

    José Mourinho and Real Madrid president Florentino Perez José Mourinho says Real Madrid can cope without Rodri despite the club making “a very good offer” to sign the Spain midfielder.…

    Continue reading