China eyes export ban exemption for some Nexperia orders amid chip supply chain turmoil



“We will comprehensively consider the actual situation of enterprises and grant exemptions to exports that meet the criteria,” a ministry representative said in a statement.

According to the ministry, exemptions were being considered to stabilise the supply of Nexperia chips in global supply chains. It encouraged affected companies to reach out and request such an exemption.

Beijing’s latest action reflects some of the inroads made between Chinese President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart, Donald Trump, during their meeting on Thursday in Busan, South Korea.

A report by The Wall Street Journal on Saturday said Nexperia would resume sending chips under a framework agreement reached during the Xi-Trump talks.

After the meeting, the Ministry of Commerce said Washington would temporarily halt the implementation of its so-called 50 per cent subsidiary rule.

Introduced in late September, the rule expanded US export restrictions to any company that was at least 50 per cent owned by entities on Washington’s trade blacklist. Wingtech Technology, the Chinese owner of Nexperia, was added to the blacklist in December last year.
  • Related Posts

    Growth vs Reality: Inside the Tensions Facing APAC’s Top Marketers

    [The content of this article has been produced by our advertising partner.] Ekimetrics, in partnership with The Marketing Society, recently launched The CMO Tension Report, a new piece of research…

    Continue reading
    China’s Top Numerical Control rides investor fervour for aerospace to 80% IPO gain

    Shares of Chinese aviation and aerospace parts supplier Shanghai Top Numerical Control Technology ended 80 per cent higher on its debut in Hong Kong on Wednesday, as investors continue to…

    Continue reading

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *